Sunday, November 6, 2011

Jam Session


We haven't done any work on our house this week because my contractor caught the flu. So, today I got to do something I enjoy (besides working on the house)--make some apple butter.  I have recently learned how to can and I really enjoy making delicious jams & jellies. So far I have made grape jam, chokecherry jelly, raspberry jam, and now apple butter.  The really awesome thing about all my jams and jellies I have made is that the fruit has been grown by local gardeners and not purchased from a store.

Anyway, I thought today would be the perfect day to can because there was snow predicted and I figured I wouldn't overheat the cabin.  Wrong!  It never snowed and I had to open all the windows.  My sick contractor kept complaining it was too hot!!  I think it only got up to 80.  :o)

The recipe was very simple and easy to make.  I found it at Heidi Swanson's blog called "101 Cookbooks". The only things I did differently was I used some cloves that a friend from work grew, dried and gave to me (same friend who taught me how to can-- "Thanks friend!"), then I ground them myself--which was REALLY hard.  Probably because I don't have a mortar & pestle.  And I've seen "Julie & Julia" tons of times--Julia Childs cooking instructor at the Cordon Bleu says, "You must have a mortar & pestle!".  I guess I just didn't listen!!  Here's my pretend mortar, pestle, and ground cloves.

(By the way, I had store bought ground cloves in my pantry, but wanted to use the home-grown cloves.)  The other thing I did differently than the recipe is I didn't blend the apples.  I just cooked them and smashed them a bit.  I left some chunks--very yummy that way!

Since this is my blog, let me take just a minute to go off-subject.  Has anyone besides me noticed how much food is coming from other countries?   In purchasing apple juice for this recipe I had a hard time finding juice from the USA.  I finally found Tree Top, which said it was 100% USA apples.


If you are looking for juice from the USA, be sure to check on the plastic bottle too.  Some of the brands didn't say where the juice was from on the label, but had printed on the plastic bottle where it was from.


Anyway, after heating up our cabin to over 80 degrees, I ended up with lovely apple butter we'll enjoy all winter long.


I used our Jotul woodstove to cook the apple butter


and our Coleman cookstove to process the jars


This stove was given to us by my Mom & Dad.  It originally belonged to my Grandma & Grandpa.  I bet they never thought their granddaughter would be canning apple butter with it in 2011, in a cabin!

No comments:

Post a Comment